Corporate events, networking events, and even everyday corporate meetings often call for guest speakers. Listening to and observing a knowledgeable professional is always bound to leave attendees with new information and opinions to reflect on.
Featuring a guest speaker at a corporate meeting or event is one of the best ways to generate conversation, networking, and Q&A sessions among your group. With that being said, as a meeting or event attendee, it is also important to prepare professional questions to ask the speaker after they have concluded their presentation, session, or lecture. Let the professional, who has so generously agreed to speak to your organization, know that you were paying attention and are interested in what they had to say.
Questions to Ask a Guest Speaker
Personal Career Path Questions
- Why did you choose this career path?
- What do you enjoy most about your job?
- Did anything about this job/career surprise you?
- What advice would you give to your younger self?
- What are some everyday challenges you face in your profession?
- If you weren’t in this career, what would you be doing instead?
Industry Related Questions
- What education and training are required for this industry?
- How do you see this industry changing in the next few years?
- What are some common mistakes that you see from new hires?
- Are there are a lot of job opportunities in this career?
- What are the opportunities for advancement in this career?
- Is there a common misconception about this career?
Goal Oriented Questions
- How do you define success?
- What personal qualities/characteristics are important to have for this job?
- What technical skills are important to have for this job?
- How can someone entering this career stand out from the rest of the crowd?
- What is the best question you have ever been asked in an interview?
- What is the number one thing that you suggest asking or not asking in an interview?
Work/Life Balance Questions
- Are you able to have a positive work/life balance in this career?
- What are some things you wish did differently in school/college/past jobs?
- How important is networking in this industry?
- What advice would you give someone changing careers?
- Is there anything that you do in everyday life that has helped you reach success in your work?
Have you been asked to introduce a guest speaker at your next corporate meeting or event? Check out our advice on, Introducing a Guest Speaker.